The SportDOG Brand 425X Remote Trainers is a must-have for any serious pet owner looking to train their hunting or field dog. The collar by SportDog comes with 8 levels of stimulation, which can be used in both training and correction modes. Pet breeders in our club have had good things to say about this brand and I’ll review it in detail below.
SportDOG Brand 425X Review
The SportDOG Brand 425X is a 500-yard e collar that can train 3 dogs at the same time with the additional purchase of collars. It offers vibration, tone, or 21 levels of static stimulation to choose from for training. The rechargeable lithium-ion batteries offer a quick 2-hour charge, and a low battery indicator lets you know when to charge. The 425X is waterproof and submersible to 25 feet using DryTek technology. It fits dogs 8 pounds or larger with neck sizes 5 to 22 inches.
Safety: Is it safe?
The collar also features a safety feature where if you are within 30 feet of your dog when using the remote trainer, there will not be any shock delivered to them at all. This ensures that you will never accidentally hurt your own best friend!
Usability: Is it easy to use?
The collar gives you a few options as to how the dog may be trained. There are tone and vibration modes, as well as a nick/stimulation mode for your convenience. The collar is waterproof, but not submersible to more than 1 meter of depth, so if your dog is a strong swimmer, I would look for another collar.
It fits dogs 8 pounds or larger with neck sizes 5 to 22 inches making it ideal for big-breed dogs such as German Shepherds and Golden Retrievers. If you have a small-breed dog such as Pomsky or Chihuahua, check out these small-breed dog collars.
As with most training collars, the SportDOG Brand 425X Remote Trainers must be used regularly to see improvement in your dogs behavior. This can be difficult with most people, busy lifestyles mean that they don’t have the time or luxury to regularly train their dog. The collar features a good range of over 500 yards, which means you can train your dog at home or in the field without having to worry about breaking contact.
Effectiveness: Does it work?
One of the most frequent complaints I’ve heard about this collar is that it isn’t effective. It does require consistent use if you want to see results. Many customers report that they only use the collar for a few days, which means it never gets used enough to produce positive results.
Range: 500 ft
The SportDOG FieldTrainer 425X has a maximum range of 500 yards or 1,500 feet and is on the lower end of most dog collar ranges.
How to use SportDOG Brand 425X Remote Trainers:
1. Set up your devices and charge them for use (collar, handheld remote and batteries)
2. Put your dog on a leash or tie them to a tree while you attach the collar and test it.
3. Make sure the fit of the collar is snug but comfortable enough that there isn’t a lot of extra room between the collar and your dog’s neck.
4. Put the collar on your dog in the normal spot every day for at least 30 minutes to make them comfortable with wearing it
5. Once they are used to wearing their collar, use the remote to give them a tiny shock. Do this enough times that they notice the stimulation, but not enough to make them think it’s a big deal.
6. After your dog becomes used to the low-level stimulations, begin using the remote at random times (every 20 minutes or so) to give them little shocks while doing normal day-to-day activities like feeding your dog, taking them on walks, or playing with them.
7. After they get used to that, use the remote when doing things like brushing your dog’s coat or giving them treats, but only every once in a while so they don’t associate it with those actions.
8. Once your dog is used to the stimulations from the remote being linked with good things, begin using it for bad behaviors. For a dog that jumps up on people or gets over-excited, give them a small shock every time they do it during this phase.
9. Once your dog knows not to jump up and/or be over-excited, you can begin to use the remote as a warning for bad behavior. People who have used this collar report that their dog will change their tune within a few days of owning it.
SportDOG Brand 425X Battery Life & Adapter
The battery takes a few hours to fully charge and lasts up to 2 hours. The collar will automatically shut off after 9 minutes of stimulation (to save power), but if you continue using it, the collar will drain its own batteries. When the red light turns green, it is time to recharge your device or replace the batteries with new ones.
The manual indicates that the battery lasts for 3 to 5 years.
If your SportDOG Brand 425X Charger is broken, you can replace it by getting it on Amazon for about $25. You can check its price today here.
What we like about this brand:
- It is water-resistant
- Easy to set up with 500 yard range
What we don’t like about this brand:
- Not as effective or powerful as other models where the stimulations are more frequent and higher in voltage.
- Limited range of just 1500 ft.
Where to buy:
The SportDOG Brand 425X Remote Trainers has an MSRP of $169 and is available on Amazon here.
Below is what you get with the purchase;
- Remote Transmitter
- Receiver on 3/4″ Collar Strap
- Charging Adaptor
- Standard Contact Points
- Long Contact Points
- Test Light Tool
- Operating Guide
- Basic Training Manual
You can check the manual here
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Hi there! My name is Alex Landy, one of the co-founders here at Our Pets HQ and a parent to a small-breed Yorkie. I am a published author of two books on dog breeding and currently write on various pet-related blogs about caring for dogs. I am a parent of two daughters and live outside Boston where I spend a lot of time with family and serve in different breeding clubs. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org