Purina has about 200 dog food brands that are listed as a special diet containing high-protein amounts. Upon further analysis of the protein content for each brand, it was clear that some have very low protein content on a dry matter basis.
Table of Contents
What is high-protein dog food?
High-protein dog food is a complete and balanced diet that contains significantly higher levels of protein than what is typically found in most commercial pet foods. These products are designed to meet the needs of dogs who require more protein in their diets, such as working dogs, sporting dogs, and those with certain medical conditions.
Determining the quality of protein in dog food:
There are a number of ways to determine the quality of protein in dog food.
- Guaranteed analysis: One method is to look at the guaranteed analysis on the pet food label. This will tell you the minimum percentage of crude protein that is present in the food. However, this number can be misleading, as it does not take into account the quality of the protein or the digestibility of the protein.
- Dry matter basis: A more accurate way to determine the quality of protein in dog food is to calculate the percentage of protein on a dry matter basis. This takes into account the moisture content of the food and gives you a more accurate idea of the amount of usable protein that your dog will be getting.
- Biological value: Another way to determine the quality of protein in dog food is to look at the biological value. This is a measure of how well the protein is used by the body and how efficiently it is absorbed.
- Net protein utilization: Net protein utilization (NPU) is another way to measure the quality of protein in dog food. This is a measure of how much of the protein is actually used by the body and is a good indicator of the overall quality of the protein.
Why switch to a high-protein diet?
There are a number of reasons why you may want to switch your dog to a high-protein diet.
- Working dogs: Working dogs, such as police dogs, service dogs, and sled dogs, need more protein in their diets than the average pet dog. This is because they use up more energy and need more protein to help rebuild and repair their muscles.
- Sporting dogs: Sporting dogs, such as agility dogs and hunting dogs, also need more protein in their diets than the average pet dog. This is because they use up a lot of energy and need protein to help rebuild and repair their muscles.
- Dogs with medical conditions: Dogs with certain medical conditions, such as liver disease, kidney disease, and diabetes, may also benefit from a high-protein diet. This is because protein can help to repair and rebuild damaged tissues and organs.
How to switch to a high-protein diet:
If you are interested in switching your dog to a high-protein diet, there are a few things you need to keep in mind.
- Talk to your veterinarian: First, you should talk to your veterinarian about whether or not a high-protein diet is right for your dog. They can help you determine if your dog has any medical conditions that would benefit from a change in diet.
- Choose a quality food: Second, you need to choose a quality food that is high in protein. Not all high-protein foods are created equal, so it’s important to do your research and choose a food that is made with quality ingredients.
- Make the switch gradually: Finally, you need to make the switch gradually. This means slowly increasing the amount of high-protein food you give your dog while decreasing the amount of their regular food. This will help them adjust to the new diet and avoid stomach upset.
About Purina Brand:
Purina is a well-known brand of pet food that offers a variety of high-protein foods for dogs. Their products are designed to meet the needs of working dogs, sporting dogs, and those with certain medical conditions. They offer a variety of dry and canned foods, as well as treats and supplements.
To come up with an objective list based on our ranking and considering the special diet specifications of some of Purina’s brands, we decided to give the following marks:
- 5 paws = at least 32% protein on a dry matter basis
- 4 paws = 26-31% protein on a dry matter basis
- 3 paws = 20-25% protein on a dry matter basis
- 2 paws = 14-19% protein on a dry matter basis
- 1 paw = less than 14% protein on a dry matter basis
Bundle high-protein dog food by Purina:
- Bundle: Purina ONE Natural SmartBlend Lamb & Rice Formula Dry Dog Food, 40-lb bag + Milk-Bone Original Large Biscuit Dog Treats, 10-lb box
- Bundle: Purina ONE Natural True Instinct With Real Turkey & Venison High Protein Dry Dog Food, 36-lb bag + Milk-Bone Original Large Biscuit Dog Treats, 10-lb box
3 Best Purina High-protein Dog Food (over 30% protein)
At the top of our list if Purina Pro Plan Puppy Toy Dog Food which has the highest crude protein 34%.
Purina Pro Plan Puppy Toy Breed Dog Food is a nutritionally complete, high-performance formula for the first year of your puppy’s life. This food has been specially formulated to meet the needs of highly active toy breed dogs. It contains DHA from omega-rich fish oil to nourish brain and vision development as well as guaranteed live probiotics for digestive and immune health. The protein in this diet comes from real chicken as the first ingredient plus other quality sources like chicken meal, rice flour and whole grain corn. The result is a formula that helps your puppy build and maintain lean muscle mass for a healthy, active life.
With 32% protein from real chicken as the #1 ingredient, this grain-free recipe provides essential vitamins and minerals to help support your dog’s strong muscles, including his heart—the strongest muscle of all!
Purina ONE True Instinct with Real Chicken combines the natural choice of real chicken with a blend of healthy ingredients to provide your adult dog with the nutrition he needs for his daily adventures. This formula is crafted by Purina, a brand you can trust, in U.S. facilities that are veterinarian-approved and audited regularly for quality.
Looking for a dry kibble that will help support your dog’s muscle and heart health? Look no further than Purina ONE Natural High Protein True Instinct. This adult kibble is packed with 32% crude protein, derived from real beef and salmon, to help your pup maintain healthy muscles and a strong heart. Plus, it’s free from artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives — and there’s no poultry by-product meal in sight. The irresistible meaty morsels have a texture that will make your best buddy beg for more, while glucosamine helps support his joint function.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Hi there! My name is Ben Domb, an owner of two pets and I am one of the co-founders of OurPets HQ. I have several years of experience as a pet care professional in the New England region having spent time in various roles including a stint at a veterinary hospital in Upstate New York, Syracuse area. I am a certified pet care professional and mostly spend my time researching pet nutrition and sharing my thoughts in various blogs and columns. With quarantine and COVID restrictions, I have been spending a lot of time a lot with my dogs and cat and loving it! I also run a small consulting business providing advice to parents on pet nutrition, and especially safe homemade options to try. You can reach me at email@example.com