People are always asking me how I make my dog food. I get it all the time and frankly, it’s not a hard process.
Table of Contents
How To Make Your Dog Food
To my own dog food, I use two different types of meat: beef and chicken. The reason for this is because both meats have protein which dogs need in their diet to stay healthy. Protein is an important part of a dogs diet that many people don’t know about! You can also add eggs if you want to give them some extra nutrition as well or even vegetables like peas, broccoli, or squash for your pup!
Nutrients your dog needs;
Dogs need a balanced and healthy diet and your homemade dog food should contain the following;
- High-quality protein (meat, seafood, dairy or eggs)
- Fat (meat or oil)
- Carbohydrates (grains or vegetables)
- Calcium (dairy)
- Essential fatty acids (egg yolks or oatmeal)
The proportions in this recipe are 50 percent protein, 25 percent veggies, and 25 percent grains. However, the ratios may be changed to fit your dog’s breed and/or requirements simply by altering the percentages.
Steps to make homemade dog food:
1. Buy meat at your local supermarket (beef or chicken).
2. Cook the meat in boiling water until it is soft enough to chew (you do not want to give your dog raw meat because of bacteria).
3. Once the meat is cooked, let it cool off and cut up little chunks for your pup. You can also use a food processor to make the chunks smaller.
4. Put your chunks of meat in an air tight container and store it in your freezer until you need to feed them again!
Steps that are not necessary but recommended:
- Add vegetables like peas or pumpkins for extra nutrition (but please note that vegetables shouldn’t be more than 10% of your dogs diet)
- – Add eggs for an extra boost of protein (but keep in mind that raw eggs may contain salmonella bacteria, cook the egg thoroughly before giving it to your dog!)
Homemade Dog Food is not only cheaper than store bought dog food but you know exactly what your dog is eating, you can control how much fat or protein they are getting.
Please note that “people food” should not be given to dogs (with the exception of cheese and yogurt) because it can contain ingredients that are toxic for them! For example grapes and raisins are very dangerous for dogs to eat, they can cause kidney failure and even death in dogs!
Homemade Dog Food DIY Guide
You can make 8 CUPS of dog food without meat at home and it will take you 10 mins to prepare and about 45 minutes to cook.
- 1.4 cups brown rice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 pounds ground turkey
- 3 cups baby spinach, chopped
- 2.5 carrots, shredded
- 1 zucchini, shredded
- 0.6 cup peas, canned or frozen
- Cook 1.5 cups of rice using 3 cups of water and set it aside when cooked.
- Heat oil and add turkey until its brown – at least 5 mins.
- Stir all additives – spinach, carrots, zucchini, beans/peas, rice
- Let it cool
All dog breeds such as Pitbull can have homemade dog food.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Hey there! I am Lean Morgan, an owner of three cats and a passionate cat lover. I recently joined to be part of the team here at Our Pets HQ and will be writing a lot about pet grooming guides including reviews of different grooming gear. I also own a small grooming shop in California and welcome questions on cat or dog grooming using my email, email@example.com.