You know that feeling when you see a bird and want to feed it, but you don’t have any food? Well, now there’s an easy solution. All you need is some string, twigs, peanut butter, and birdseed. You may also need wood or plastic if you need a wooden or plastic-made bird feeder.
Here’s how to make your own birdfeeder!
What you’ll need to make a bird feeder;
- -Peanut Butter (crunchy or creamy)
How to make a bird feeder
1) Cut a piece of string the length from the top of your hand to about four inches below your elbow. Tie one end around a branch for support in the middle of the tree (you may need someone else on a ladder or tall building).
2) Take another long piece of string-about twelve inches-and tie it around one side of an empty cereal box (or other sturdy cardboard), then loop it back over itself so that both ends are held in place.
3) Use the string still attached to the cereal box and tie it around another branch, about four inches from where you tied on the support brach for step one. Tie it tightly. This is your perch for putting peanut butter on later.
4) In a bowl, mix birdseed with some peanut butter (either chunky or creamy, your preference) until it is thick and gooey. If the mixture feels more like dough than batter, add more peanut butter.
5) Spread some on top of the cereal box perch so that the string attaching it to the tree will be covered in peanut butter. Put down your bowl and take string from step two, and place it over the perch, making sure that it is just long enough to reach your hand.
6) Tie a thick knot in one end, then tape around the other side to secure it and cut off any excess string.
7) Hang your birdfeeder and wait for avian visitors to come and enjoy! The peanut butter will attract birds, while the birdseed gives them something good to eat.
How do I make sure my birdfeeder is safe for the birds who come?
You should make sure your birdfeeder is safe for the birds who come by checking out reviews on Amazon or somewhere like that before you buy one. Make sure it has good reviews and will keep the birds comfortable. You don’t want to hurt them, because they’re wild animals!
How do I get started with making my own bird feeder?
To get started with making your own birdfeeder, first you’ll need to find some string and twigs! From there, all you have to do is choose what kind of peanut butter and birdseed mixture you want. You can use this method as a guide, but replace the cereal box with whatever materials you’re using. Good luck!
How to make a bird feeder out of wood
You can make a bird feeder out of wood by following the steps below;
1. Get a piece of wood and drill holes in it for hanging.
2. Get another piece a bit bigger, cut a notch at the bottom. This will be used to put the seeds inside the feeder
3. Drill small holes on top of both pieces of wood where you can tie a string to hang it from a branch or a tree.
4. Mix birdseed with some peanut butter until it is thick and gooey. If the mixture feels more like dough than batter, add more peanut butter.
5. Spread some on top of the other piece of wood perch so that the string attaching it to the tree will be covered in peanut butter. Put down your bowl and take string from step two, and place it over the perch, making sure that it is just long enough to reach your hand.
6. Tie a knot in one end, then tape around the other side to secure it and cut off any excess string.
7. Hang your birdfeeder and wait for avian visitors to come and enjoy! The peanut butter will attract birds, while the birdseed gives them something good to eat.
This is an example of a homemade bird feeder made out of wood. You may use any materials you want instead of this to make your own.
How to make a bird feeder out of a plastic bottle
You can make a bird feeder using plastic bottle using the steps below;
- 1. Make a hole in the side of the bottle using an object like a hole punch or screwdriver. You can make it any size you want, but make sure to pick one that is big enough for the bird’s head to fit through.
- 2. Cut off the bottom part of your bottle and put it back together again, with the hole you made in step 1 over the mouth of the bottle.
- 3. Take a thick string and tie it to one end of a long stick, then thread your way through the bottle’s mouth and out of another hole you drill on the top side of the bottle.
- 4. Tape around your string so that is doesn’t go back through the bottle.
- 5. Put birdseed and peanut butter in your bottle to attract birds!
What is the best way to make a bird feeder?
The best way to make a bird feeder is to drill holes in logs for hanging. This way you can observe birds while they eat.
Did you know?
Birdfeeders were invented in the 1800’s during the industrial revolution when many people came to cities and no longer had easy access to nature, like friends or family with backyard feeders.
Some people like to make their own birdfeeders, but this is actually not the best option; it’s better to buy one, because homemade feeders can be dangerous for your birds. You should only make a bird feeder if you really know what you’re doing-or if there isn’t anywhere else to get one nearby.
What are some other benefits of having a bird feeder?
Many people like to have birdfeeders because they can watch birds while they eat, and it’s also very relaxing. Some studies even show that watching birds lowers your blood pressure!
How to make a bird feeder out of a milk jug
You can make a bird feeder using a milk jug using the steps below;
1. Take the top off of the milk jug and cut around its neck to make it into a cone shape. Make sure that any sharp edges are smoothed out so you don’t hurt yourself or your birds.
2. Cut the bottom part of the jug off and take out the plastic insulation. This is where you will put your seeds in.
3. Punch a hole in the side of the jug using a screwdriver or other pointed object, then tie a string onto it that’s long enough to reach from outside the bottle to inside when it’s hanging up.
4. Fill your milk jug feeder with birdseed and tie the jug to a tree, post, or anything outside and you’ll be ready to go!
There are many different ways to make a bird feeder. The best way is to drill holes in logs for hanging. This way you can observe birds while they eat.
How to make a bird feeder out of recycled materials
You can make a bird feeder using recycled material or items you find around your house. You can use paper, peanut butter, and plastic bottle tops to attract birds to your yard!
1. To start, you will need three milk jug tops (the little white thing that goes on the top of the milk jug that you throw away after you drink it) and three craft sticks.
2. Punch holes in the top of your milk jug tops using a pencil or other pointed object, then tie one end of each craft stick to each hole with string or rubber bands. You should now have 3-inch long pieces of string hanging from each milk jug top.
3. Roll three recycled newspapers into 3-inch rolls, then tape the ends of each roll so it stays together.
4. Push one newspaper log through each hole you made in your milk jug tops then push another craft stick onto each end to secure it inside the jug top holes. Tape around each craft stick where they meet on the inside of the milk jug top.
5. Once the birdseed bag is empty, tie it to a tree branch or post outside with your recycled newspaper logs inside of it!
How to make a bird feeder with toilet paper roll
You can make a bird feeder using a toilet paper roll by following the 4 steps below;
1. Cut a triangle off of the top of your paper roll with a pair of scissors, then cut about 2 inches off from the bottom.
2. Then, you will need three craft sticks and some string or rubber bands to secure them onto the paper roll.
3. Punch a hole into each of the top corners of your paper roll, then secure your craft sticks onto the holes with string or rubber bands so that they hang down at different lengths.
4. Fill up your paper roll feeder with birdseed and tie it to a tree branch or post outside!
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Hey there! I am Lean Morgan, an owner of three cats and a passionate cat lover. I recently joined to be part of the team here at Our Pets HQ and will be writing a lot about pet grooming guides including reviews of different grooming gear. I also own a small grooming shop in California and welcome questions on cat or dog grooming using my email, firstname.lastname@example.org.