I like strawberries and I used to wonder if I’ll have to share my strawberries with Bearded dragon after I adopt him. This is a legitimate question for most new pet parents. In this article, I will explore the answer to this question and provide you with some important information about feeding your bearded dragon strawberries.
What are strawberries?
Strawberries are small, red fruits that are commonly eaten by humans. Their scientific name is Fragaria, and they are classified as berries. They are rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, making them a nutritious food choice for humans.
Nutrients in strawberries:
- Vitamin C – A powerful antioxidant that helps to boost the immune system.
- Folate – is important for reproduction, as it helps to prevent birth defects.
- Potassium – Helps to regulate blood pressure.
- Magnesium – Helps to maintain healthy bones and muscles.
- Strawberries also contain small amounts of calcium, phosphorus, vitamin B6, and iron.
- High water content made of of 45% to 68%.
Can bearded dragons eat strawberries?
Like apples, strawberries are safe and totally edible fruit that your beardie can eat more than once a month. They contain no harmful toxins that can potentially harm your pet and as omnivores, this fruit diet is totally fine in moderation.
While bearded dragons typically eat insects and other small animals, they are known to enjoy the occasional piece of fruit. In the wild, beardies will eat whatever is available to them, including fruits and vegetables.
How often can bearded dragons eat strawberries?
Because of their high water content and relatively low nutritional value, it is best to limit the number of strawberries that your bearded dragon eats. You should only feed him or her strawberry every month. This will help to ensure that your pet gets all of the nutrients that he or she needs from a healthy and well-balanced diet, without overloading on sugar and water.
Are there any benefits to feeding bearded dragons strawberries?
Yes, there are some benefits to feeding your bearded dragon strawberry. Strawberry is a good source of Vitamin C, which is an important antioxidant that helps to boost the immune system. Additionally, the fruit contains small amounts of calcium and phosphorus, which are important for healthy bones and muscles.
Drawbacks of feeding strawberries:
While strawberries are a nutritious food choice for bearded dragons, there are some drawbacks to consider as well.
- Sugar content: Strawberries have a high sugar content, which can lead to digestive problems in beardies.
- Pesticides: strawberries may contain small amounts of pesticide residue or be contaminated by bacteria from the soil or water where they were grown.
- Has more phosphorus than calcium: This can lead to health problems, as beardies need more calcium than phosphorus to maintain healthy bones and muscles. One cup of strawberries has 23 grams of calcium and 36 grams of phosphorus. This ratio is not the preferred 1:1 and can lead to problems down the line.
- High water content: Bearded dragons need a diet that is low in water content, but strawberries are quite high in water. This can lead to weight gain and other health problems.
- Overall, it is generally safe to feed bearded dragons strawberries on occasion, as long as you take these drawbacks into consideration. It is best to limit their intake of this fruit, especially
How can bearded dragons eat Strawberries?
There are a few different ways that bearded dragons can eat strawberries.
- The first is to simply feed them whole, fresh berries.
- You can also blend them up into a smoothie or juice and serve it in a bowl for your pet to lick up.
- Alternatively, you can chop the strawberries into smaller pieces and add them to their regular food mix of insects and other small animals.
Can Bearded Dragon Eat Other Fruits and Vegetables?
can bearded dragons eat blueberries?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat blueberries. Blueberries are packed with nutrients and are a good source of antioxidants. They are also low in sugar and have a high water content, which is perfect for a beardie’s diet. However, as with any fruit, blueberries should be given in moderation and only as a occasional treat.
can bearded dragons eat cucumbers?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat cucumbers. Cucumbers are a crunchy and refreshing vegetable that is packed with nutrients. They are low in sugar and high in water content, which makes them an ideal food choice for beardies. However, it is important to only feed your pet cucumbers on occasion, as too much can cause digestive problems.
can bearded dragons eat carrots?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat carrots. Carrots are a nutritious vegetable that is high in beta-carotene, fiber, and vitamins. They are also low in sugar and have a moderate water content, which makes them a good choice for beardies.
can bearded dragons eat fruits?
Yes, bearded dragons can eat fruits. Many types of fruit are safe for beardies to eat and are a good source of vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants. However, it is important to only feed your pet fruit on occasion, as too much can lead to weight gain or digestive problems. Some good options include bananas, apples, strawberries, and melon. Always be sure to wash any fruits that you feed your beardie, as they may contain traces of pesticides or other contaminants.
Read our full guide on Bearded Dragon care and diet here.
Tomatoes are known to be acidic but your bearded dragons can eat them in moderation not exceeding tomatoes once a week. While tomatoes are a healthy fruit that is packed with nutrients, they should only be given to beardies in small amounts. This is because too much tomato can cause digestive problems or lead to weight gain. When feeding tomatoes to your beardie, it is best to chop them into small pieces or blend them into a smoothie. You can also feed them canned tomatoes that have been drained of their juice.
Bananas have high-sugar content and do not have a balanced nutritional profile but you can feed it to your Bearded dragon as a treat no more than once a week.
While bananas are a healthy fruit that is packed with nutrients, they should only be given to beardies in small amounts. This is because too many bananas can cause digestive problems or lead to weight gain. When feeding bananas to your beardie, it is best to chop them into small pieces or blend them into a smoothie.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Hi there! My name is Ben Domb, an owner of two pets and I am one of the co-founders of OurPets HQ. I have several years of experience as a pet care professional in the New England region having spent time in various roles including a stint at a veterinary hospital in Upstate New York, Syracuse area. I am a certified pet care professional and mostly spend my time researching pet nutrition and sharing my thoughts in various blogs and columns. With quarantine and COVID restrictions, I have been spending a lot of time a lot with my dogs and cat and loving it! I also run a small consulting business providing advice to parents on pet nutrition, and especially safe homemade options to try. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org