Does a bearded dragon eat a banana evoke some joke of a lizard with a peeled banana enjoying it as they bask in the sun? I think it’s funny but it is a legitimate question – can bearded dragons eat bananas? In this article, I’ll answer this question in detail sharing the nutritional profile of bananas and whether they are good for bearded dragons.
Let’s get started
Can bearded dragons eat bananas?
The quick answer is yes, bearded dragons can eat bananas but in moderation just like tomatoes. Bananas are extremely acidic and are very high in sugar content. You should only feed your bearded dragon banana as a treat no more than once a week if at all.
The nutritional value of bananas is not ideal for bearded dragons. Bananas are very high in sugar and lack many of the key nutrients that bearded dragons needs such as calcium, carotene, and vitamin A. While bananas can provide a small amount of potassium and vitamin B6, there are better sources for these nutrients that should be incorporated into your dragon’s regular diet.
Health benefits of Bananas to Bearded Dragons;
Bananas are a good source of dietary
- potassium: Potassium is an important electrolyte that helps regulate muscle and nervous system function. Bearded dragons need adequate amounts of potassium to ensure proper functioning of their muscles and nerves, so including bananas in your dragon’s diet can be beneficial.
- Bananas are low-calorie: Bananas are a great snack for bearded dragons because they are low in calories. This is important because bearded dragons require a diet that is low in calories and fat to maintain a healthy weight.
- Vitamin B6 in bananas is important for the nervous system: Bananas are a good source of vitamin B6, which is important for brain and nervous system function. If your bearded dragon has neurological issues or problems with their mobility, including bananas in their diet can help to provide nutrients that are essential for healthy nerve and brain function.
- Bananas can help with digestive problems: Bananas are a good source of dietary fiber, which can help with digestive problems. Bearded dragons require a diet that is high in fiber to help keep their digestive system healthy.
How bearded dragon can eat bananas;
- Sliced with peel: One of the easiest ways to feed your bearded dragon a banana is to slice it up and serve it with the peel. You can either provide the entire banana as one piece, or you can separate out slices so that you can provide several pieces in a feeding session.
- Sliced without peel: You can also slice the banana without the peel and serve it to your bearded dragon. This is a good option if you are concerned about the pesticide residue that may be on the peel of the banana.
- Mashed: Another way to serve banana to your bearded dragon is to mash it up into a puree. You can either feed it as is, or mix it with other foods to create a mash.
- Unsliced without peel: If you are concerned about the safety of feeding your bearded dragon a sliced banana, or if you simply want to keep things simple for yourself, you can also serve an unsliced banana without the peel. This is also a good option if your bearded dragon has trouble with their mobility and cannot chew large pieces of food properly.
What to look for when feeding bearded dragon bananas;
When feeding bearded dragons bananas, it is important to look for ripe bananas.
- Ripe bananas are lower in acidity and sugar than unripe bananas, so they are better for your dragon’s health.
- You should also avoid giving your bearded dragon banana that is brown or black, as this indicates that the banana is overripe and may contain harmful toxins.
- Finally, you should always wash the banana thoroughly before feeding it to your bearded dragon to remove any pesticides or other contaminants that may be present.
How about Metabolic bone disease (MBD)?
MBD is a serious condition that is caused by a lack of calcium in the diet. Bearded dragons are prone to developing MBD if they do not get enough calcium in their diets, which can lead to weakened bones, paralysis, and even death.
You should also be watching for any signs of metabolic bone disease when feeding bearded dragon bananas. If you notice that your dragon is losing weight or developing other symptoms of metabolic bone disease, such as lethargy or weakness, you may need to reduce the number of bananas in their diet or supplement it with other foods.
Risks of feeding Bananas to Bearded Dragons;
- Bananas are high in sugar: The high sugar content in bananas can be problematic for bearded dragons. Bearded dragons require a diet that is low in sugar to maintain their blood sugar levels.
- Bananas are high in acidity: The high acidity levels in bananas can be problematic for bearded dragons. Bearded dragons require a diet that is low in acidity to maintain their digestive health.
- Bananas lack many essential nutrients: Bananas lack many of the key nutrients that bearded dragons need such as calcium, carotene, and vitamin A. If you feed your bearded dragon bananas as a regular part of their diet, they may develop nutritional deficiencies over time.
What do Bearded Dragons eat?
Bearded dragons are omnivores, which means that they require a diet that includes both plants and animals. The best way to provide your bearded dragon with the nutrients they need is to feed them a variety of different foods.
A healthy diet for a bearded dragon should include:
-Dark, leafy greens such as kale, collard greens, and mustard greens
-Seasonal vegetables such as carrots, peppers, and sweet potatoes
-Small amounts of fruit such as berries, apples, and mangos
-Commercial bearded dragon food pellets containing the nutrients your pet needs to thrive.
Q: Do Bearded Dragons eat bananas everyday?
A: No, bearded dragons should not eat bananas every day. Bananas are high in sugar and lack many of the key nutrients that bearded dragons need to stay healthy. Feed your bearded dragon bananas as a occasional treat, not as a regular part of their diet.
Q: How many bananas should I feed my bearded dragon?
A: There is no set amount of bananas that you should feed your bearded dragon, as this will depend on their age and size. If you are concerned about the safety or health of your pet, it is best to speak to a veterinarian or nutritionist for advice.
Q: Are there any foods that bearded dragons should not eat?
A: Yes, there are some foods that bearded dragons should avoid. Bearded dragons can develop nutritional deficiencies and other health problems if they eat too many high-sugar or high-acid foods, such as bananas, oranges, and melon.
As with all animals, it is important to consult your veterinarian before making any changes to your bearded dragon’s diet. By working with a knowledgeable professional, you can be sure that your pet is getting the nutrition they need to live a long and healthy life. So if you are wondering, “can bearded dragons eat bananas?”, the answer is yes, but only in moderation as part of a well-rounded diet that includes plenty of greens, vegetables, and other nutrient-rich foods.
Hi there! My name is Ben Domb, an owner of two pets and I am one of the co-founders of OurPets HQ. I have several years of experience as a pet care professional in the New England region having spent time in various roles including a stint at a veterinary hospital in Upstate New York, Syracuse area. I am a certified pet care professional and mostly spend my time researching pet nutrition and sharing my thoughts in various blogs and columns. With quarantine and COVID restrictions, I have been spending a lot of time a lot with my dogs and cat and loving it! I also run a small consulting business providing advice to parents on pet nutrition, and especially safe homemade options to try. You can reach me at email@example.com