Shih Tzu can escape your watch easily by backing out of a collar. A harness gives you more control over your dog while walking and can be a lifesaver if your dog ever gets loose. There are many different types of harnesses on the market, so how do you choose the best one for your Shih Tzu?
What is a dog harness?
A dog harness is a piece of equipment that helps you to walk and control your dog by attaching it to its leash. It goes around your dog’s body and usually has two connection points: one at the back and one at the front.
Harnesses vs collars for dogs
A collar is the most common way to walk a dog, but a harness can be a better option for some dogs. For example, if your dog likes to pull on the leash, a harness can give you more control over them. And, as we mentioned before, small dogs that are good at escaping their collars may be better off in a harness.
Below is an image of dog harness;
Why get a harness for Shih Tzu?
There are a few reasons why you might want to get a harness for your Shih Tzu.
- First of all, as we mentioned before, they can be great for dogs that pull on the leash.
- A harness will distribute the force of the dog’s pulling more evenly across their body, which can make walks more comfortable for them.
- And, if your dog is an escape artist, a harness can be more difficult for them to get out of than a collar.
Table of Contents
What to look for when choosing the best harness for Shih Tzu?
When you’re looking for a harness for your Shih Tzu, there are a few things you’ll want to keep in mind.
- Size: Make sure you get a harness that’s the right size for your dog. If it’s too big, they’ll be able to wiggle out of it; if it’s too small, it will be uncomfortable for them to wear.
- Non-allergic Material: You’ll also want to pay attention to the material of the harness. Some dogs are allergic to certain materials, so you’ll want to make sure you choose one that’s safe for your dog.
- Additionally, some materials are better than others at wicking away sweat, which can be important if you live in a hot climate or if your dog is particularly active.
- Safety: Of course, you’ll also want to make sure that the harness you choose is safe for your dog. Look for one with reflective strips or bright colors so that your dog will be visible in low light.
- Handle: You may also want to consider a harness with a handle, which can be useful if you need to pick up your dog or help them over an obstacle.
The best harness for Shih Tzu
Now that you know what to look for in a harness, you’re ready to choose the best one for your Shih Tzu.
Here are our top picks:
- Best Harness for Comfort: Puppia Soft Vest Harness
- Best Harness for Car Safety: Pawaboo Dog Safety Vest Harness
- Best No-Choke Harness: EcoBark Control Dog Harness
- Best Harness for Night Visibility: Rabbitgoo No-Pull Dog Harness
- Best Leather Harness: CollarDirect Rolled Leather Dog Harness
Reviews of the Best Harness for Shih Tzu
Our overall best pick for the best harness for Shih Tzu is the Puppia Soft Vest Harness. This harness is made from a breathable mesh material that’s comfortable for your dog to wear and that will help to keep them cool on hot days.
Puppia’s Soft Vest Harness is perfect for your furry friend! Made with air mesh for extra comfort, this harness also features an inner filler to promote superior comfort. Available in a variety of colors and sizes, make sure to measure your pet and order the correct size according to the sizing chart. With measurements that fit within the dimensions with a room to spare in the chest and neck, this harness is sure to be comfortable for your pup!
Our second pick is the Pawaboo Dog Safety Vest Harness. This harness is a great option if you’re looking for a safe and comfortable way to take your Shih Tzu for car rides.
Pawaboo Dog Safety Vest Harness is perfect for keeping your dog safe while driving. The harness attaches to the car seat belt and prevents dogs from jumping out of the car window or moving around. This reduces the driver’s distraction and protects dogs in case of a sudden stop. With a seat belt lead clip, the harness set keeps your Shih Tzu under control while still providing some range of movement and flexibility.
The Pawaboo Dog Safety Vest Harness is perfect for traveling with your pet. It’s made of high-quality nylon material, which is strong and durable enough to make sure that there won’t be any injuries to your pet during the trip. The seat belt attaches to the D-ring on the vest, and then you can put it over your dog’s head and buckle up the harness straps. This harness won’t restrict or hurt your pet in any way.
The Pawaboo Dog Safety Vest Harness is a safe, comfortable and stylish way to keep your dog close. Made of oxford fabric, 100% polyester and broad sponge padded chest plate. Industry-standard premium stainless steel snap hook is electroplated for durability and abrasion resistance. The vest harness is lightweight and well-made, with no burden on your pets.
Our third pick in this list of best harness for Shih Tzu is the EcoBark Control Dog Harness. This harness is a great choice if you’re looking for a no-choke option that will still give you good control over your dog.
The EcoBark Control Dog Harness is a lightweight, comfortable and breathable mesh harness that will give you the support needed to train your dog. The EcoBark Control Dog Harness will help you with training your dog to walk on a leash without pulling or choking. With this no-pull harness, it can be used for small dogs as well as medium-sized dogs weighing 10-17 pounds. This dog harness is made with durable materials that are non-toxic and safe for your pet.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Hi there! My name is Ben Domb, an owner of two pets and I am one of the co-founders of OurPets HQ. I have several years of experience as a pet care professional in the New England region having spent time in various roles including a stint at a veterinary hospital in Upstate New York, Syracuse area. I am a certified pet care professional and mostly spend my time researching pet nutrition and sharing my thoughts in various blogs and columns. With quarantine and COVID restrictions, I have been spending a lot of time a lot with my dogs and cat and loving it! I also run a small consulting business providing advice to parents on pet nutrition, and especially safe homemade options to try. You can reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org