A dog’s diet is an important factor in its ability to fight against yeast infections. Yeast thrives when it has the opportunity to feed on sugar and carbs, so feeding your dog good quality food that limits these ingredients can help prevent your pet from developing this condition.
The best foods for fighting yeast are those that have limited carb content but still provide enough protein for muscle development and energy needs. They also need to be rich in antioxidants, which will further help with immune system function.
Do dogs get yeast infections?
Yes, dogs can get yeast infections in their ears, skin folds, and genitals.
How to choose the best dog food for yeast infection:
- Balanced nutrition: Find a diet that has balanced nutrition with limited or no carbs. This will help your dog deal with weight gain and insulin resistance issues, which are key factors in yeast infections.
- Ketogenic diet: A ketogenic diet is one that has very low amounts of carbohydrates but contains enough protein to keep your dog healthy. These types of foods can be helpful for certain breeds that tend to have yeast issues, but you should work hand in hand with your vet to determine the best food choice.
- Avoid diets that promote weight-loss: Ranked here because it ties into this section, but overweight dogs are more prone to yeast infections than healthy ones. Only use diets for weight loss if they don’t also contain low levels of carbs or too much protein.
- Antioxidants: Yeast thrives on sugar, so anything you can do to decrease the body’s ability for this type of feeding will help fight it. Antioxidants are key here because they inhibit the nutrient absorption that feeds yeast growth. The best dog food for yeast infections has high levels of antioxidants.
- Quality proteins: If your dog is prone to yeast infections, it can benefit from a diet that has higher levels of protein. This will help the body fight off the infection by providing more materials for function and repair.
- Focus on fish: Fish is rich in omega-3 fatty acids which are anti-fungal in nature. They are also rich in antioxidants.
- Packaged foods that advertise their contents as “yeast-free” can make choosing the best dog food for yeast infections easier on new pet owners by helping them understand what to look for on labels. However, you should always speak with your vet about whether or not a packaged food is appropriate for your pet, and to learn more about their nutritional needs.
Best Dog Food for Yeast Infections Reviews 2022
The following selection of foods is an example of four particularly effective canned diets that provide complete nutrition to dogs while limiting the sugar content which will help prevent yeast infections. All are available from Amazon at a reasonable price.
Below are our top picks;
Our overall best dog food for yeast infection is Instinct Natural dry dog food and we ranked it top because it is rich in omega fatty acids and supports a healthy digestive and immune system.
There are zero carbohydrates in this food and it is low-glycemic for a diabetic dog. It has a healthy balance of protein and fat, with no grains or gluten to promote yeast infections.
Finally, it contains multiple antioxidants that will help prevent future infections from occurring. Instinct Dog Food receives 4 out of 5 stars on Amazon from satisfied customers.
2.Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream
The next best dog food for yeast infection is Taste of the Wild Pacific Stream and it ranks high because it is rich in essential fatty acids that will promote a healthy coat, skin, joints, brain function, and metabolic process. It contains zero carbohydrates which are known to feed yeast cells. You will also be happy to know that it is grain-free which is common for high-quality dog foods.
3.Canidae Lamb Meal & Rice Formula Canned Dog Food
Our third best dog food for yeast infection are Canidae canned dog foods. They rank highest because they are rich in omega fatty acids to promote a healthy skin and coat, balanced with high-quality proteins that will provide the essential amino acids needed for repair of cells. It also contains none of the ingredients commonly known to cause yeast infections.
4. Halo Spot’s Stew Wholesome Chicken Recipe
Halo Spot’s Stew ranks as one of the best dog food for yeast infection because it is rich in antioxidants which will inhibit feeding by yeast cells. It contains a healthy amount of protein and fiber, with no gluten or plants known to cause allergic reactions.
Additionally, Halo Spot’s Stew is low-glycemic and includes omega fatty acids that promote healthy skin and coat.
If you are looking for top-quality dog food, then check out the list above to see which one best fits your needs. Just be sure to speak with your veterinarian before switching your pet over to any new diet. You can use these options as
Q: What are the top things to look for when choosing a dog food?
A: The first thing you should do is read the label. Be aware of ingredients that commonly cause yeast infections, such as corn syrup or soybeans. You should also pay attention to the level of protein provided in the food, as well as its fat and carbohydrate content. It’s important that your dog be able to maintain a balanced diet with proper amounts of each ingredient.
Q: Which foods are good for yeast infections?
A: Any food with high levels of antioxidants, fatty acids, and proteins is likely to promote healthy skin and coat. Foods without corn syrup or soybeans are also more effective at preventing yeast infections.
Q: How do I keep my dog’s yeast infection under control?
A: The best way to prevent yeast infections is to feed your pet a high-quality diet that is rich in omega fatty acids and antioxidants. It’s also important that you monitor the amount of sugar they are getting from treats or table scraps. You should also rinse your dog’s ears daily to prevent infection.
Q: What are the symptoms of yeast infections in dogs?
A: Watch out for excessive ear scratching or head shaking, redness around the ears and paws, smelly ears, inflamed skin folds, dull coat, loss of appetite, and high fever. If your dog is showing any of these symptoms, take them to the veterinarian as soon as possible.
Q: How do we treat yeast infections in dogs?
A: Veterinarians typically prescribe antifungal medications and antibiotics for treating yeast infections. Sometimes putting your dog on a special diet can also help prevent future infections from occurring.
Q: When should you see a vet about yeast infections in dogs?
A: If your dog is showing any of the symptoms listed above, it’s important to take them to the veterinarian right away. Left untreated, yeast infections can cause permanent damage and even death.
Q: Is there a cure for yeast infections in dogs?
A: The best way to treat yeast infections is to keep them from occurring in the first place. This means sticking to a high-quality diet and keeping a close watch on your dog’s symptoms.
Q: What foods cause yeast infections?
A: Some of the most common food-related causes include processed sugars, corn syrup, and soybeans. There is some debate about whether grains in general can feed yeast growth, but with modern genetic modification it’s unlikely that they contribute to yeast infections.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Hi there! My name is Alex Landy, one of the co-founders here at Our Pets HQ and a parent to a small-breed Yorkie. I am a published author of two books on dog breeding and currently write on various pet-related blogs about caring for dogs. I am a parent of two daughters and live outside Boston where I spend a lot of time with family and serve in different breeding clubs. You can reach me at email@example.com