Great Danes are one of the largest dog breeds in the world, but they still need proper nutrition. Great Danes are prone to digestive problems because their stomachs don’t have enough room for large meals. This is why it’s important that you find quality food that your Great Dane will be able to digest easily and stay healthy with minimal risk of developing common health problems.
This blog reviews some of the best dog foods on the market for these big dogs!
Nutrition in Best Dog Good for Great Danes
Great Danes are one of the largest dog breeds in the world, but they still need proper nutrition. A Great Dane’s diet should consist of 25-30% protein and 12-18% fat. They also require a generous amount of fiber (around 3%) to keep their digestive system running smoothly.
It’s important that Great Danes eat a lot of protein and fat because they burn these energy sources at a higher rate than other breeds. This is why it’s also important that you find quality food with sufficient amounts of these ingredients for your Great Dane.
Best Dog food for Great Danes:
- Blue Buffalo Life Protection – Best Dry Food For Great Danes
- Purina One – Most Affordable Food For Great Danes
- Nutro Natural Choice For Puppies – Best for Great Dane puppies
- Natural Balance – Best limited-ingredient kibble for great danes
- Purina One Natural Dry Dog Food – Best joint-friendly ingredients
- Nutro Natural Choice – Best for weight maintenance
- My Ollie Lamb Dish – Best fresh food for Great Danes
- Eukanuba Large Breed Puppy Dry Dog Food — Best For Puppy Great Danes
Buying Guide for the Best Dog food for Great Danes:
When you’re looking for the best dog food for Great Danes, there are a few things you need to keep in mind. Here is a quick buying guide to help you make the best decision for your big dog:
- Find dog food formulated for large breeds: Great Danes are a large breed, so you need to find food that is specifically designed for their size. This type of food will have the right balance of nutrients and calories that Great Danes need.
- Avoid foods with fillers: Fillers are ingredients that add bulk to food but don’t provide any nutritional value. You want to avoid foods that have a lot of fillers because they won’t be as beneficial for your Great Dane.
- Look for high-quality ingredients: You want to find a food that has high-quality ingredients so that your Great Dane is getting the nutrients they need. Avoid foods with low-quality ingredients or artificial additives.
- Choose a protein-rich diet: Great Danes need a lot of protein to stay healthy, so you want to find a food that is rich in this nutrient. Look for foods that have at least 25% protein content.
- Low to moderate fat levels: You don’t want to find a food that is too high in fat because it can lead to weight gain. However, you also don’t want a food that is too low in fat because Great Danes need this nutrient for energy. Look for a food that has 12-18% fat content.
- Joint-supporting supplements: Great Danes are prone to joint problems, so you may want to find a food that has joint-supporting supplements. This will help keep your dog’s joints healthy and prevent problems in the future.
- Probiotics: Probiotics are live bacteria that are good for your dog’s digestive system. They can help improve digestion and prevent problems like diarrhea.
Best Dog Food for Great Danes Reviews
Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
This is one of the best dog foods for Great Danes. It contains an impressive 38% protein and 20% fat. This formula also has taurine, omega-3s, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and probiotics. Blue Buffalo’s formula is highly digestible and has a high amount of protein from quality sources.
The food also contains glucosamine and chondroitin that promote healthy joints while omega-3s keep the skin and coat clear of inflammation.
This is a great option for any Great Dane because it keeps them fuller longer, supports their muscles, bones, and joints, and promotes healthy skin and coat.
However, if your Great Dane has any specific health problems like heart issues or stomach sensitivities, you should check with your vet first before switching to this formula.
People who purchased Blue Buffalo Wilderness High Protein Grain Free Natural Adult Dry Dog Food were very happy with the food – many said that their dogs loved the taste and that it kept them fuller longer. It also gave their dogs nice coats, minimized gastrointestinal issues, and reduced shedding.
Iams Large Breed Puppy Food
This is another healthy option for Great Danes. It contains 30% protein and 20% fat along with vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, essential fatty acids, and prebiotics.
This formula is specially designed to promote healthy growth for large breed puppies. Puppy food has more calories, fat , and protein than other formulas so your Great Dane can grow big and strong.
The kibble is also made small enough that it’s easy for young dogs to chew without hurting their mouths or developing dental problems .
Iams Large Breed Puppy food is formulated to balance your puppy’s growth. It reduces the risk of hip dysplasia, obesity, and other digestive concerns while promoting healthy bones , joints , and teeth .
However, you should also check with your vet before switching to this formula – if your Great Dane has any particular health concerns or allergies, this formula might not be the best option.
Iams Large Breed Puppy food is a popular choice among Great Dane owners – many said that their dogs loved the taste and were full longer after eating compared to other brands of puppy food.
It also minimized gastrointestinal problems, kept their coats shiney , and minimized shedding.
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food
This formula contains bison and venison that are high in protein . It also has sweet potatoes, peas, and potatoes that give it a lower glycemic index than other formulas.
The kibble is small enough so your Great Dane can chew it easily without harming their teeth or developing dental problems.
Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain-Free Adult Dry Dog Food is made without any corn, wheat, soy, grain fractions , preservatives, or artificial colors or flavors. It’s also easy to digest and has probiotics .
Many Great Dane owners choose this food for their dogs because it keeps their coats healthy, has quality ingredients that are easy to digest, and helps minimize gastrointestinal problems .
However, you should check with your vet before switching your dog’s food – Taste of the Wild High Prairie Grain Free Adult Dry Dog Food might not be suitable for dogs with certain health conditions.
Orijen Six Fish Adult Dog Food
This formula has the highest amount of protein – 60% – that comes from six different kinds of fish plus turkey. It also contains 30% fat and 0% grain .
It’s a good option for Great Danes because it helps keep their muscles, bones, and joints healthy and strong while promoting a shiny coat .
Orijen Six Fish Adult Dog food has quality ingredients so it’s easy for your dog to digest and promotes a healthy gastrointestinal system.
Additional Guide on Great Danes Dog Food:
Great Danes and Common Health Concerns
Hip dysplasia is a common health concern in Great Danes. It’s a condition where the hip joint doesn’t form properly and results in pain, lameness, and arthritis.
There are several things you can do to help prevent hip dysplasia or minimize its symptoms:
- Feed your Great Dane a high-quality diet that’s rich in protein and fat to help maintain their muscle mass.
- Make sure they get plenty of exercise to keep their joints healthy and prevent obesity.
- Avoid letting them jump from high places or run on hard surfaces.
- Talk to your vet about supplements that can help support joint health.
Bloat is a serious condition that can be life-threatening for Great Danes. It happens when the stomach twists and gas accumulates, making it difficult for the dog to breathe or belch. This can cause the stomach to rupture and fill with blood.
Bloat is more common in large breed dogs and is often seen in Great Danes.
There are several things you can do to help prevent bloat or minimize its symptoms:
- Feed your dog smaller meals throughout the day instead of one large meal.
- Avoid letting them exercise immediately before or after eating.
- Make sure they have access to fresh, clean water at all times.
- Talk to your vet about supplements that can help support gastrointestinal health.
Hypertrophic osteodystrophy is a condition that affects young, growing Great Danes. It’s characterized by bone pain and lameness due to the overgrowth of bone tissue.
Dilated Cardiomyopathy :
Dilated cardiomyopathy is a heart condition that’s often seen in Great Danes. It’s caused by the enlargement of the heart muscle, which makes it difficult for the heart to pump blood. This can lead to congestive heart failure.
Osteosarcoma is a type of cancer that affects the bones. It’s the most common type of bone cancer in dogs and is often seen in Great Danes.
Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc, or its affiliates.
Hi there! My name is Alex Landy, one of the co-founders here at Our Pets HQ and a parent to a small-breed Yorkie. I am a published author of two books on dog breeding and currently write on various pet-related blogs about caring for dogs. I am a parent of two daughters and live outside Boston where I spend a lot of time with family and serve in different breeding clubs. You can reach me at email@example.com